Re: [Aspell-user] aspell-<LANG>: Invalid UTF-8 sequence at position...

From: Kevin Atkinson
Subject: Re: [Aspell-user] aspell-<LANG>: Invalid UTF-8 sequence at position...
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2007 23:00:35 -0700 (MST)

[Putting address@hidden back on the list]

On Wed, 7 Mar 2007, Martin Swift wrote:

On Tue, Mar 06, 2007 at 08:37:24PM -0700, Kevin Atkinson wrote:
Just in case it helps, /etc/aspell/aspell.conf has only a single line:

encoding utf-8

That did it.  Aspell ignores the locale settings when creating word lists
but it doesn't ignore the config files.  I need to fix this some how.  But
I don't know how best to do it.   For now try setting this in your
environment before compiling the word lists

  ASPELL_CONF="conf /dev/null"

That environment variable didn't help, but temporarily moving the
config file to a different name, did.

It should have.  I just tested it and it worked for me.

As for fixing the problem; is there a reason why you can't just read
the the *.dat file last and overwrite the previous settings?

It's probably not that simple. I will need to study the problem more before I can answer that question. I suggest you file a bug report. I may also accept a patch but don't expect me to accept it until I have a chance to study the problem myself.

Furthermore, should I notify the Gentoo packet maintainer, or do you
reckon this will get fixed soon enough?

I don't know when I be able to fix it. Hopefully within a month but no promises.