Re: [Aspell-user] need text editor

From: Dinbandhu
Subject: Re: [Aspell-user] need text editor
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2008 18:55:24 -0400

On Sat, 2008-06-28 at 16:08 -0300, Leonardo F. Fontenelle wrote:

> > I need to find a text editor or word processor which accommodates both
> > Aspell and SCIM/m17n (SCIM = Smart Common Input Method Platform, a
> > multilingual script input method) so I can use it in the distro Puppy
> > Linux, with the Hindi language. If anyone has a specific one to suggest,
> > kindly let me know.
> >

> You'd better look for SCIM-enabled text editors first, and then check
> which of them use Aspell.

Actually, I have found that SCIM works in most anything. It doesn't
require any special "plugin" or anything. That is, one doesn't have to
"enable" the text editor to use it. It is its own application which one
activates from outside the text editor and which puts own toolbar for
language/script selection in the lower right-hand corner of the screen.
And it will run in *any* program based on GTK or qt3/qt4 (and not only
those).

Whereas, in order for Aspell to work with a given text editor, a
specific arrangement ie a plugin has to have been created.

Plus there are various text editors which work only half-way with
Aspell, for example one can spellcheck an already-existing document but
can't spellcheck on the fly as one writes; or there is no right-click
feature to give a list of alternative spellings; or there is no option
to add a word to the dictionary.

Or the text editor is not a GUI but runs only in the terminal window.

I seek a GUI text editor which works fully with Aspell: it has the
right-click alternative list of word spellings, and it has the feature
of adding the word to the dictionary.

And it should not be bound by its dependencies to a particular DE as
Gedit is to Gnome, and Kate is to KDE. (I am looking to use the text
editor in the distro Puppy Linux.)

If someone can suggest a couple of text editors that fulfill the above
requirements, my guess is that they will work wonderfully with SCIM.

Thanks,
Swarup