[Aspell-user] Words containing apostrophe or hyphen

From: Ciarán Ó Duibhín
Subject: [Aspell-user] Words containing apostrophe or hyphen
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2009 12:04:03 -0000

I encountered ASpell through its implementation in the UltraEdit text editor.

I found it was not possible to add a word containing a hyphen, or a word containing an apostrophe at the beginning or end, to the user dictionary.  This is something which I need to do (in English, think  'twas  or makin' ).  In UltraEdit, the words can be added and will appear in a list of the dictionary, but an attempt to spellcheck then causes the computer to hang.

Does this restriction apply to ASpell in general, or is it something wrong with the way UltraEdit is using it?  If it applies to ASpell in general, would you consider removing it?  For comparison, MS Word's spellchecker accepts these words and checks them exactly as we would wish.

Thanks,
Ciarán Ó Duibhín.