[Aspell-user] dictionary locations

From: Anthony Dardis
Subject: [Aspell-user] dictionary locations
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2010 22:39:59 -0400

Followup: I got the aspell-0.60.5 source package to try to figure out what's going on. I compiled example-c.c from the examples folder. It throws the same error. I tried adding (to the code below)

  aspell_config_replace (spell_config, "dict-dir", "/sw/share/aspell");

since that seemed to be where the dictionary files are, and then got this:

The file "/usr/local/lib/aspell-0.60//en_phonet.dat" can not be opened for reading.

(earlier it reported that it couldn't open /usr/local/lib/aspell-0.60/en.dat for reading; there was no such file there, so I copied one over from the source package; then it moved on to this further reading failure.)

Kinda stumped here. Is there an env variable or PATH value that needs to be set?

Also, I checked with Fink Commander to see what version I'm running, and used it to make sure

aspell-dev aspell-shlibs aspell-en and aspell

are all the most current.

-------------earlier message

I'm having a problem like Shawn Riordan's. I'm on Mac OS X 10.5.8. Aspell
is installed and works correctly through Aquamacs. I want to use the C API
to use Aspell in a little programming puzzle (Euler Project Problem 59).
I've installed the en_US dictionary, and aspell works correctly from the
command line. But when I run this code (basically exactly from the Aspell
C API doc):

    AspellConfig * spell_config = new_aspell_config();
    aspell_config_replace(spell_config, "lang", "en_US");
    AspellCanHaveError * possible_err = new_aspell_speller(spell_config);
    AspellSpeller * spell_checker = 0;
    if (aspell_error_number(possible_err) != 0) {
      printf ("%s\nl", aspell_error_message(possible_err));
      return EXIT_FAILURE;
    }
    else
      spell_checker = to_aspell_speller(possible_err);

I get

No word lists can be found for the language "en_US".