auctex-devel

Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: Package coverage...

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: Package coverage...
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2006 00:37:00 +0100

Ralf Angeli <address@hidden> writes:

> * David Kastrup (2006-01-15) writes:
>
>> here is what I think about coverage for the next release:
>>
>> XEmacs package: probably the most annoying issue.
>
> I don't think it is more annoying than Debian also still being stuck
> at 11.55 or Fedora disabling preview-latex.

We all have our favorite annoyances.

>> You saw the recent discussions, and I hope you'll agree that we'll
>> probably do XEmacs users a favor by providing our own XEmacs
>> packages of AUCTeX for download.
>
> Yes, but why wait for the next release?

Version numbering and release announcements.  We could conceivably
provide 11.82 as an XEmacs package (it will require manually removing
info/dir from the package, but Reiner already did that for his
version), and the same holds for the Fedora RPM (which will need to
use a somewhat newer spec file than that in the 11.82 tarball, I
guess).

Hm.  Reiner, could you just upload the fixed 11.82 XEmacs package to
our download site?  I don't think it would do much harm.  I'll try to
see whether the current spec file builds with the 11.82 tarball under
Fedora, but not today.

If we announce stuff, bumping the versions to 11.83 might be the most
consistent way.  OTOH, providing the stuff for 11.82 without big
announcements will give us some leeway to have people test it before
we make a big blunder.

>> Anything else?
>
> Huh?  Is the next release round the corner?

Isn't it always?  More specifically: I have just handed in abstracts
for the Chemnitzer Linuxtage (a seriously great conference I've been
visiting for years on end) and the Dante-Tagung in Berlin, both at the
beginning of March.  I also had to update my father's RedHat box for
PDF creation and it was somewhat embarrassing that 11.55+0.9.1 was the
newest usable stuff available.  11.81 without preview-latex would have
been simply unacceptable.  And I did not want to mess with /usr/local
for now.

So that are the motivators currently.