auctex-devel

Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: Package coverage...

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: Package coverage...
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2006 14:15:14 +0100

Ralf Angeli <address@hidden> writes:

> * David Kastrup (2006-01-16) writes:
>
>> More specifically: I have just handed in abstracts for the
>> Chemnitzer Linuxtage (a seriously great conference I've been
>> visiting for years on end) and the Dante-Tagung in Berlin, both at
>> the beginning of March.
>
> Then we should try to get some features done before that.  Currently
> there haven't been enough changes to warrant a new release.  I am
> thinking about the style system changes

Fine with me, but we'll probably need to iron out a few things.
Backward compatibility, preferably.

> and the functionality for accessing TeX-related documentation.
>
> By the way, yesterday I had the idea to use the information from the
> parser to find the LaTeX package a certain command belongs to and
> use that to open the corresponding documentation.  Not as good as a
> real command database with included documentation, but helpful
> anyway.

But the parsed information is only available once all style files have
been loaded.  I don't think we'll get around saving this information
separately.

Once we do, it would make sense to load it when C-c RET or C-c C-e are
used to enter an unknown command/environment, check whether it is in
the database, and offer to place the respective \usepackage into the
preamble.

>> I also had to update my father's RedHat box for PDF creation and it
>> was somewhat embarrassing that 11.55+0.9.1 was the newest usable
>> stuff available.  11.81 without preview-latex would have been
>> simply unacceptable.  And I did not want to mess with /usr/local
>> for now.
>
> Maybe use checkinstall?

If I am going to start a mess, I might as well do it not just for him.