auctex-devel

[AUCTeX-devel] Re: New auctex version coming, and the freeze

From: Davide G. M. Salvetti
Subject: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: New auctex version coming, and the freeze
Date: Tue, 03 Oct 2006 16:21:26 +0200

[This should be probably have been an off-list reply, but I feel the
need to clarify the issue to all readers.  Sorry for the noise.]

fant> As for the first issue, one particularly problematic point is the
fant> overly broad anti-DRM clause.  FSF representatives have said that
fant> they would not try to sue anybody for, for example, including a
fant> filesystem with a GFDL'ed manual on it in a backup that gets
fant> protected by a password.

In this specific example, it is my understanding that if you do not
further distribute your filesystem, there is nothing that a _license_
can do to prevent you from including a GFDL'ed manual on a (private)
password protected backup.  Maybe some gnus or gnats will get after you
and knock your hands, but they won't surely do it legally and backed up
by the license.

OTH, I do not really understand how would it be useful to distribute
such a think without the means to decrypt the manual.

--
Ciao, Davide