auctex-devel

Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: xelatex and pdftex (a new mode)

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX-devel] Re: xelatex and pdftex (a new mode)
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 22:01:14 +0200

* David Kastrup (2008-07-20) writes:

> Ralf Angeli <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I'm not really happy with the minor mode approach, because the AUCTeX
>> minor modes are becoming a bit numerous and the logic for dealing with
>> their interaction becomes difficult to manage.
>
> Basically we have two different sets of modes here: one is selection of
> an engine, another is selection of features.
>
> The first of those is exclusive: only one (and exactly one if we count
> the hypothetical TeX-Knuth-mode) can be active at any time, one could
> select by radio buttons.  The second set is in principle orthogonal:
> source-navigation can be on/off in either case, PDF output can (well, if
> we have PS output as a special option, we get a radio-like set again)...

I've rearranged the TeXing options submenu accordingly.  The "Use
standard engine" option is not a real mode and does not have a
user-visible command for toggling it.

> I agree that the current proliferation seems awkward.  As a note aside:
> shouldn't we have an obsolete function alias for
> TeX-source-specials-mode?  That will make it more obvious for people how
> to migrate, and it will let them keep working with one startup file for
> multiple configurations for a transitory period of time.

Hm, I've always assumed that `make-obsolete' and similar are only
relevant for byte-compilation.  Obviously they also have an effect for
the doc string.  I've added a `make-obsolete' call to the `defalias'
call which was already in place.

--
Ralf