[AUCTeX] install problems with GNU Emacs/ Fedora core

From: Rajneesh Hegde
Subject: [AUCTeX] install problems with GNU Emacs/ Fedora core
Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 22:34:57 +0000 (UTC)

hi,
I'm trying to locally install auctex 11.55 on a linux box where a
site-wide
installation of auctex 11.13 already exists. Since I'm a non-privileged
user, I
downloaded and unzipped the tarball, and did the following:
./configure --preview=my_home_dir --with-emacs
--with-lispdir=my_lisp_dir
make
make install

For some reason, "tex-site.el" is not byte-compiled or installed in the
auctex
subdirectory of my_lisp_dir. There's "tex-mik" in the directory, but I
suppose
that's meant only for a MikTeX installation (on Windows). The INSTALL
file
recommends loading auctex in GNU Emacs with "require 'tex-site" in the
.emacs
file. However, since I don't have a local copy of tex-site, it tries to
load the
site-wide copy (older version) of tex-site. Am I missing something?

Thanks for your time,

Rajneesh.