Re: [AUCTeX] install problems with GNU Emacs/ Fedora core

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] install problems with GNU Emacs/ Fedora core
Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 13:53:47 +0200

Rajneesh Hegde <address@hidden> writes:

> I'm trying to locally install auctex 11.55 on a linux box where a
> site-wide
> installation of auctex 11.13 already exists. Since I'm a non-privileged
> user, I
> downloaded and unzipped the tarball, and did the following:
> ./configure --preview=my_home_dir --with-emacs

More likely --prefix

> --with-lispdir=my_lisp_dir
> make
> make install

> For some reason, "tex-site.el" is not byte-compiled or installed in
> the auctex subdirectory of my_lisp_dir.

It would not make sense to install it there since it is tex-site.el
itself that places my_lisp_dir/auctex into your load-path:
chicken-and-egg problem.

> There's "tex-mik" in the directory, but I suppose that's meant only
> for a MikTeX installation (on Windows). The INSTALL file recommends
> file.

It should also recommend copying tex-site.el manually to somewhere
within your load-path.  This will change with 11.80, where tex-site.el
will be copied automatically.

> However, since I don't have a local copy of tex-site, it tries to
> load the site-wide copy (older version) of tex-site. Am I missing
> something?

I think you are missing something in the INSTALL instructions, the
point where it asks you to manually copy tex-site.el (yes, this is not
good).  If you have further trouble, I can try checking out previous
versions and see what is in there.  But since indeed this will change
with the next release, I'd want to do this only if necessary because
you experience further trouble.

Thanks for your report,