Re: [AUCTeX] manipulating sections with auc-tex

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] manipulating sections with auc-tex
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 13:11:29 +0200

* Matthieu Moy (2005-08-22) writes:

> I've started adapting my code to include it in latex.el. The patch
> follows for info.

Oh, that's quite a lot of stuff.

> However, I wonder if a simple
>
> (defun LaTeX-mark-section (point)
>   "Select entire section (and subsections) in a LaTeX document."
>   (interactive "d")
>   (goto-char point)
>   (outline-mark-subtree)
>   (TeX-activate-region))
>
> Wouldn't be sufficient.

Welcome to the wonderful world of cross-Emacs development.

For GNU Emacs it would suffice (modulo explicitely making the mark
active in case of Transient Mark mode), but XEmacs does not provide
`outline-mark-subtree'.  outline.el in XEmacs basically hasn't changed
for over seven years.

As I am attracted to the solution with `outline-mark-subtree' because
of its simplicity, I'd use it despite XEmacs not providing it.  If it
is bound, use it, and if it isn't, use the code we currently have in
`LaTeX-mark-section'.  This will lead to different behavior on GNU
Emacs and XEmacs, but this will go away once XEmacs synchronizes its
outline.el with GNU Emacs'.

What do others think about this?

--
Ralf