Re: [AUCTeX] Re: tex-ref.tex

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] Re: tex-ref.tex
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2007 20:18:04 +0100

Ralf Angeli <address@hidden> writes:

> * David Kastrup (2007-01-21) writes:
>
>>> My other favorite would be $PREFIX/share/doc/auctex/.  We already
>>> install into $PREFIX/share/info/, so why not into `doc' as well?
>>
>> More common would be $PREFIX/share/doc/auctex-$TAG/, and the problem
>> is that installing the next version would not overwrite the last one
>> then...
>
> Hm, on my system all of the packages which are installed only in a
> single incarnation have directory names without version strings
> below /usr/share/doc/.

Ok, same here on my Ubuntu.  My old Fedora partition, however, is all
full of version numbers.

But I guess that would be the problem of RPM creation, and not of the
main installation.

So I guess I agree with your proposal.  While we are at it, we would
likely want to install README and _possibly_ INSTALL (since README
refers to it).  The same information is available as info files, so we
might also just leave off installing it.  However, it might make some
sense to install the Texinfo sources there so that people can generate
HTML or other forms of the documentation.  They can do so by reverting
to the source package, of course.

It would probably be most consistent if we install everything into
$prefix/share/doc/auctex what ends up in man/auctex in the XEmacs
package.

>>> As style files are quite intrinsic to AUCTeX, I don't mind that they
>>> have a prominent location outside of `etc'.
>>
>> But they are also stuff that is _internal_ to AUCTeX and should
>> never get loaded except by AUCTeX itself.  So site-lisp is not
>> really more natural for those...
>
> Nevertheless they are Lisp files.  And the fact that they are
> internal to AUCTeX does not qualify for putting them into an obscure
> place.

I don't buy the argument of relative obscurity as opposed to the
documentation files.  However, as opposed to the documentation, I
don't see I have a better place to offer in the AUCTeX tree itself, so
we probably should leave them there for now for the Emacs build.