Re: [AUCTeX] Emacs23 won't load tex-site.el

From: Haines Brown
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] Emacs23 won't load tex-site.el
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2007 17:15:02 -0500

Ralf,

Thanks for the reply.

> > I'm running auctex 11.83-6, which is the sable version under debian
> > etch. I suppose you mean that emacs23 needs a newer version than that.
>
> No, this should be fine.  By the way, are you sure you mean emacs23
> and not emacs22?  emacs23 isn't even in sid.  (Emacs 23 is not
> released yet.)

OK, I'm getting the feeling that auctex would normally load by calling
/usr/share/emacsNN/site-lisp/tex-site.el rather than having a "(require
'tex-site) line in ~./emacs. This line I may have thoughtlessly
carried over from some Medieval version of emacs.

The default stable version of emacs for debian etch is emacs21. I
compiled and installed the emacs-unicode-2 from CVS, which is
emacs23. I did this to get xft support.

> Well, the Debian package will provide a tex-site.el, but certainly not
> at the location you mentioned (unless you used the source package and
> compiled AUCTeX yourself).  It will rather be below
> /usr/share/emacs22/site-lisp/ or similar.

Interesting. I installed the auctex deb binary. Under emacs21 (the
default for debian sarge), it did produce
/usr/share/emacs21/site-lisp/tex-site.el, but my installation of
emacs23 did not create a comparable /usr/share/emacs23 directory. The
installation was successful in that I'm now happily using a TT
anti-aliased font in emacs, but I wonder nevertheless if the
installation was partial.

I've now put /user/share/emacs21/site-lisp into my emacs23 paths so
that it has access to a copy of tex-site.el, and then reloaded emacs23
without error, but have not tested whether emacs23 can borrow use of
the emacs21 file in this way to create a dvi file from a .tex source.

> I'd rather get rid of the cruft you have lying around in your home
> directory and which interferes with the Debian package.

OK, but what "cruft". I've got a lot of it. Do you mean starting out
with an .emacs file with nothing in it? Or do you mean emptying
~/elisp of anything not required by AUCTeX? I assume that if ~/.emacs
is cleaned out, it does not matter what cruft might be found in
~/elisp, for it won't be seen.

--

       Haines Brown, KB1GRM