Re: [AUCTeX] TeX-command-list

From: gerald . jean
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] TeX-command-list
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 08:51:48 -0500

Hello Ralf,

thank you very much for the elisp code AND for explaining how it works, I
am sure that will prove very useful.

Cheers,

Gérald Jean
Conseiller senior en statistiques, Actuariat
télephone            : (418) 835-4900 poste (7639)
télecopieur          : (418) 835-6657
courrier électronique: address@hidden

"In God we trust, all others must bring data"  W. Edwards Deming

             Ralf Angeli
             <address@hidden
             .net>                                                       A
                                       address@hidden
             2008/02/25 16:12                                           cc
                                       address@hidden
                                                                     Objet
                                       Re: [AUCTeX] TeX-command-list

Please keep the mailing list copied.

* gerald jean (2008-02-25) writes:

>> Do you want to print or view or convert them?  Or a combination of the
>> former?
>
> I mostly use GS for printing purpose, for viewing I mostly use Yap,
except
> when I need to rotate pages, I then use GS.  For conversion I mostly use
> ps2pdf.
>
>> "Other" is used for prompting for a command.  If you want a command only
>> for the conversion of PostScript to PDF, add it to `TeX-command-list'.
>> If you want that as a step from compiling the document to viewing it,
>> you could add it the View command, for example.  (Not a nice solution,
>> but a pragmatic one with the current state of command execution in the
>> tool chain.)
>
> Yes, I do "only" want a command for conversion of ps to pdf, my
co-workers
> (who sometimes need to read my documents) don't use LaTeX, and friends,
and
> can't read ps files hence the conversion to pdf, everyone has Acrobat
> Reader.

If your LaTeX stuff is not too PostScript-centric you could use PDF
output via PDFLaTeX from the start.  (I'm probably not in the best
position to recommend it because I personally prefer DVI output.  This
is mainly due to the viewer.  I love xdvi for its speed and puristic
interface.)

> Unfortunately I am not very good at customization and I am not
> sure how to add the required command(s) to "TeX-command-list", but I'll
> try.

Unfortunately `TeX-command-list' is non-trivial to customize.  In
addition it is usually better to leave the default alone and just add
one's commands to it programmatically.  Here is how you could do that
for a "pdf2pdf" command:

(eval-after-load "tex"
  '(add-to-list 'TeX-command-list
                         '("ps2pdf" "ps2pdf %f" TeX-run-command nil t) t))

If you are not interested in the output of the call, you could use
`TeX-run-discard' intead of `TeX-run-command'.  If you want to be able
to alter the command before executing it, use t instead of nil as the
fourth item in the list.

--
Ralf

Le message ci-dessus, ainsi que les documents l'accompagnant, sont destinés
uniquement aux personnes identifiées et peuvent contenir des informations
privilégiées, confidentielles ou ne pouvant être divulguées. Si vous avez
reçu ce message par erreur, veuillez le détruire.

This communication (and/or the attachments) is intended for named
recipients only and may contain privileged or confidential information
which is not to be disclosed. If you received this communication by mistake
please destroy all copies.