[AUCTeX] Re: Comment filling : I would like to make a contribution

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: [AUCTeX] Re: Comment filling : I would like to make a contribution
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2008 11:09:30 +0200

* Vincent Belaïche (2008-08-09) writes:

> Vincent Belaïche a écrit :
>> Ralf Angeli a écrit :
>>> Is the preprocessor code separated in some way from the rest of the
>>> comment?
>> Yes it is, each line of the preprocessor code has some specific Eupp
>> start-mark, and some specfic Eupp end-mark
>>> Then you could adapt `paragraph-separate' accordingly.
>>>
>> I don't think that this would be enough, because even though by some
>> tampering with variable `paragraph-separate' one line of preprocessor
>> code could be recognized as a single paragraph, this would not prevent
>> that this line may be folded into two lines if it is too long, which
>> would cause the absence of an Eupp end-mark for the first line, and of
>> an Eupp start mark for the second line.

The idea was not to make each line a of the preprocessor code its own
paragraph separator, but to establish some separation between a normal
comment and the preprocessor code.  Then when you fill a comment
paragraph it will not mess up the preprocessor code.

The solution for the preprocessor code is simply not to type `M-q' when
point is in it.  In case there should be more control about how the code
is to be indented or filled, using a separate major mode which gets
switched on if the preprocessor code is entered and off when left would
probably be a better idea than shoehorning filling restrictions into
AUCTeX.

I can still see some use for the definition of sections which should be
spared from filling (especially if a larger region is to be filled), but
perhaps there should better be a general mechanism in Emacs which could
be used or adopted by AUCTeX once it is there.

>>> You know that you can read the list on Gmane?
>>>
>> Sorry for my ignorance:
>> 1) is gmane a newsgroup or a Web access

Gmane is a service which provides access to mailing lists both with a
news and a web interface.