Re: [AUCTeX] Re: forcing reftex to reload .bib file after external modi

From: Joseph Lorenzo Hall
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] Re: forcing reftex to reload .bib file after external modification of said file
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 2009 15:33:55 -0400

On Sat, Apr 11, 2009 at 2:58 PM, Leo <address@hidden> wrote:
> Have you checked the menu entry provided by reftex?
>
> Reftex > Parse Document > ...

Thanks, but I did try that.

Even after reparsing, it doesn't see changes to the .bib file after
it's read the .bib file for the first time.  I have to close and
re-open emacs to get it to notice the new .bib file.  There's
something performed on the first time I do `C-c [` that I can't get
reftex to do over again without opening and closing emacs.
Although...

Here's something that does seem to work:

If I keep my .bib file open in emacs---which I don't normally do
because I use JabRef to edit my .bib files---when it changes due to
external modification, I can change to that buffer (`C-x b foo.bib`)
and hit any key and emacs will say "foo.bib changed on disk..." and
then I can hit "r" to revert the version open in emacs to the fresh
version on disk with any changes from JabRef.

After doing this, reftex' `C-c [` *does* now know about any changes to
the .bib file.

While this workaround fixes my problem, I wonder if there isn't an
easier way to reload the .bib file... a way that doesn't require me to
keep a copy of the .bib file open in emacs?

best, Joe

--
Joseph Lorenzo Hall
ACCURATE Postdoctoral Research Associate