[AUCTeX] Re: forcing reftex to reload .bib file after external modificat

From: Leo
Subject: [AUCTeX] Re: forcing reftex to reload .bib file after external modification of said file
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 2009 01:09:35 +0100

On 2009-04-11 20:33 +0100, Joseph Lorenzo Hall wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 11, 2009 at 2:58 PM, Leo <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Have you checked the menu entry provided by reftex?
>>
>> Reftex > Parse Document > ...
>
> Thanks, but I did try that.
>
> Even after reparsing, it doesn't see changes to the .bib file after
> it's read the .bib file for the first time.  I have to close and
> re-open emacs to get it to notice the new .bib file.  There's
> something performed on the first time I do `C-c [` that I can't get
> reftex to do over again without opening and closing emacs.
> Although...
>
> Here's something that does seem to work:
>
> If I keep my .bib file open in emacs---which I don't normally do
> because I use JabRef to edit my .bib files---when it changes due to
> external modification, I can change to that buffer (`C-x b foo.bib`)
> and hit any key and emacs will say "foo.bib changed on disk..." and
> then I can hit "r" to revert the version open in emacs to the fresh
> version on disk with any changes from JabRef.

I tried AUCTeX cvs and the default reftex in Emacs 23.0.92, it worked
beautifully. The problem probably is because you don't have
auto-revert-mode enabled, thus the file changed on disk has not been
promptly reflected on the buffer associated with that file.

In Emacs 23, global-auto-revert-mode is enabled by default. Could you
try (global-auto-revert-mode t) and see if that fixes your problem?

--
.: Leo :. [ sdl.web AT gmail.com ] .: I use Emacs :.