Re: [AUCTeX] Viewing problems!

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] Viewing problems!
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2011 16:24:55 +0200

* gerald jean (2011-03-23) writes:

> 1) When viewing a document (C-cC-c) auctex guesses wrong what I want to do
> 95% of the time.  I know it is trying to be smart and start Ghostscript if
> there is embedded graphics in my document but it does anyhow, even for a
> very simple document with just a little bit of text I do get:
>
> dvips myfile.dvi -o && gv myfile.ps

Could you be using PSTricks?

> What I would like to have 100% of the time (I'll manually take care of the
> 5% time this won't be appropriate), when viewing a document is:
>
> xdvi -paper us myfile.dvi
>
> Without the "-paper us" argument, xdvi won't even start on my machine,
> RedHat Linux.  And of course the appropriate arguments when "source
> specials" are activated, next problem!

Please read (info "(auctex)Starting Viewers") in the AUCTeX manual.
This should provide you with the information you need to set up the
viewers according to your requirements.

> 2) Source specials never work for me, they did in the past but not anymore,
> not sure if it is from an Emacs upgrade or an auctex upgrade.  To activate
> them I do:
>
> C-cC-tC-s
>
> auctex echoes in the mini-buffer that "Tex-Source-Correlate mode enabled".
>
> Then next time I start View (C-cC-c) I am asked "Start Emacs server for
> inverse search in viewer? (y or n)".  Of course I reply "y".
>
> Then I go in the viewer and if I try to get back into Emacs from the viewer
> (C-mouse1) the viewer tells me
> "No source specials in this .dvi file - couldn't do reverse search"

Please read (info "(auctex)I/O Correlation") and
(info "(auctex)Processor Options").

AUCTeX probably picked SyncTeX as the method of choice for source/output
correlation.  The info pages tell you where you can change this to
source specials.

--
Ralf