Re: [AUCTeX] Track changes function?

From: spinner
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] Track changes function?
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2011 12:12:58 -0700 (PDT)

Hi, Joel:

Thanks for your message. I don't believe that ed.sty will work for
me. I'm not collaborating with the other person via a common Tex file.

I am writing my dissertation in LaTeX. My adviser uses MS Word and
won't use LaTeX. I send him a draft in PDF format generated from
LaTeX. He writes his comments in the PDF file using Acrobat and sends
his PDF file to me. I receive his comments and manually make changes
to my draft. I now have two files: draft_v1.tex and I make these
changes in draft_v2.tex. When I'm done editing, I want to create a
compiled 'redline' version of my new draft that tracks my changes from
version 1 to version 2.

I tried the Perl script -latexdiff- for this function. It worked well
except, for some reason, the coding that it added for sections in my
paper caused errors when compiling (in LaTeX) and I couldn't finish
compiling.  Here's an example of latexdiff code that caused a compile
error: \subsubsection{The \DIFaddbegin \DIFadd{anomalies }\DIFaddend
\DIFdelbegin \DIFdel{anomaly }\DIFdelend literature}
I'm using MikTex 2.8.

If I have only a few of these compile errors, I would manually get rid
of the problem coding and move on. But when I have a lot of these errors,
making manual changes because impractical.

I'm relatively new to using emacs/Auctex as my text editor. I'm
hoping Auctex has a function for what I want to do. But I haven't come
across anything yet.