Re: [AUCTeX] Inserting math environment

From: Ivan Andrus
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] Inserting math environment
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2012 18:05:45 +0200

On Apr 15, 2012, at 1:59 PM, Uday S. Reddy wrote:

> This is probably a basic question, but I can't find the answer.
>
> How can I insert a matching \[ ... \] brackets for a math display?  I thought
> LaTeX-environment would do it, but I can't see how.
>
> Cheers,
> Uday

I thought someone might have a better way, but here is what I use:

  (defun gvol-LaTeX-insert-equation (&optional arg)
    "Enclose following ARG sexps in dollar signs.
Leave point after initial dollar sign.
No argument is equivalent to zero: just insert `\$\$' and leave point between.
If region is active, insert enclosing characters at region boundaries.
If point is in between dollar signs, then they are deleted and \\[\\] is
inserted.

See `insert-parentheses'."
    (interactive "P")
    (if (and (or (not arg) (= arg 1))
             (> (point-max) (point))
             (< (point-min) (point))
             (string-equal "$$"
                           (buffer-substring-no-properties (- (point) 1) (+
(point) 1))))
        (progn (delete-char 1)
               (delete-char -1)
               (insert "\\[\\]")
               (backward-char 2))
      (insert-pair arg ?\$ ?\$)))

You could bind this to whatever key you like (perhaps $), and the first time it
will insert $$.  If you do it again, the dollar signs will be deleted and \[\]
will be inserted.

-Ivan