Re: [AUCTeX] installation problems for 24.2

From: Mandar Mitra
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] installation problems for 24.2
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2012 12:37:20 +0530

Tassilo Horn wrote (Thu, Oct 18, 2012 at 08:34:38AM +0200):
> Mandar Mitra <address@hidden> writes:
>
> Hi Mandar,
>
> > 2. Installing from ELPA gave me an error; last few lines from *Messages*
> >    shown below. Does anyone know if this looks like a problem with my
> >    setup or with the package? I'm running Lubuntu 12.04 (64bit).
>
> I just tried installing 11.86 via ELPA using 24.2, and it just worked
> fine.  I did so on a fresh test user account using "emacs -Q" (and also
> with just "emacs", thus also loading the site-lisp).

Thanks very much! I should have thought of trying with -Q.

With emacs -Q, installation went without a hitch. I didn't dig any
deeper to find which part of my set up was causing the problem.

BTW, http://wikemacs.org/wiki/AUCTeX says:

If you install AUCTeX via ELPA in Emacs 24 the basic setup listed above
is not necessary. AUCTeX just works out of the box (at least on Linux).

But I still needed

(load "auctex.el" nil t t)
(load "preview-latex.el" nil t t)

Without these two lines, I simply got the inbuilt(?) latex mode.

mandar.

ps: Sorry for the delayed response. Had irregular access to email for
the last several days.