Re: [AUCTeX] installation problems for 24.2

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] installation problems for 24.2
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2012 09:48:53 +0200

Mandar Mitra <address@hidden> writes:

> BTW, http://wikemacs.org/wiki/AUCTeX says:
>
> If you install AUCTeX via ELPA in Emacs 24 the basic setup listed
> above is not necessary. AUCTeX just works out of the box (at least on
> Linux).
>
> But I still needed
>
> (load "auctex.el" nil t t)
> (load "preview-latex.el" nil t t)
>
> Without these two lines, I simply got the inbuilt(?) latex mode.

I don't.  Finding some tex file shows LaTeX in the mode line.  `C-h v
major-mode RET' says that `latex-mode' is active.  Checking that gives:

,----[ C-h f latex-mode RET ]
| latex-mode is an alias for `TeX-latex-mode' in `tex-site.el'.
|
| (latex-mode)
|
| Major mode in AUCTeX for editing LaTeX files.
| See info under AUCTeX for full documentation.
`----

So AUCTeX is active.

I've tried that both immediately after installing AUCTeX from ELPA and
after restarting emacs.  Always worked.

Bye,
Tassilo