Re: [AUCTeX] how to use the git repository to obtain the latest aucTeX?

From: Nicolas Richard
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] how to use the git repository to obtain the latest aucTeX?
Date: Thu, 05 Sep 2013 15:58:14 +0200

David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:
> I won't rule out that there is a possibility to let ~ through unquoted
> in some contexts and get mostly correct behavior, but if you do things
> like
>
>     sudo make install
>
> and suddenly everything lands with a different user than configure
> thought, stuff will not be pretty either.

> What I'm saying is that "fixing" this without breaking other things
> might involve a whole lot more of work than bargained for.

I don't know if it will help with the problems you had in mind, but I
recall that the bash-completion package has this nice function:
__expand_tilde_by_ref

Excerpt from the comment:
# We want to expand ~foo/... to /home/foo/... to avoid problems when
# word-to-complete starting with a tilde is fed to commands and ending up
# quoted instead of expanded.
# Only the first portion of the variable from the tilde up to the first slash
# (~../) is expanded.  The remainder of the variable, containing for example
# a dollar sign variable ($) or asterisk (*) is not expanded.
# Example usage:
#
#    $ v="~"; __expand_tilde_by_ref v; echo "$v"
#
# Example output:
#
#       v                  output