Re: [AUCTeX] TeX error parsing: request for testing

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] TeX error parsing: request for testing
Date: Fri, 02 May 2014 08:46:14 +0200

Mosè Giordano <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Mosè,

>> Great, please keep on testing (also with the latest change).
>
> I'm having some trouble with multifile documents.  Attached you can
> find two files, foo.tex being the master one: if you compile the files
> as they are (i.e. with all content inside foo.tex) `TeX-next-error`
> finds the "Undefined control sequence" \command, while if you
> uncomment the
>     % \input{bar}
> line and comment the
>     \command
> line in foo.tex `TeX-next-error` won't be able to find the error anymore.

Thanks, I was able to reproduce that.  It's been caused by my new-file
regex matching multi-line input which it shouldn't.  I've pushed a fix
that makes it working for me.

> In addition, in a quite large document I have, split in multiple
> secondary source files, `TeX-next-error' tries to open a file names
> "/path/to/a/secondary/file.tex [31] [32]Chapter 2.[33] [34]" which is
> clearly wrong.

The patch also fixes your second set of test docs (at least for me), but
that's probably more by accident.  Spaces, periods, and [] are legal in
file names, so that could indeed be a file name.  Well, at least [] in
file names is not really that common, but who knows.

Maybe a good approach was to keep the regex that lax which would still
cause a (wrong) file name

  /path/to/a/secondary/file.tex [31] [32]Chapter 2.[33] [34]

be pushed onto the stack, but then have loops in `TeX-error' and
`TeX-warning' that cut the file name at spaces (from right to left)
until `file-exists-p'.

I don't have time for this today, but let's keep that in mind.

Bye,
Tassilo