Re: [AUCTeX] "No connection to bus" message in Cygwin Emacs

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] "No connection to bus" message in Cygwin Emacs
Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2015 14:29:52 +0200

Sebastien Vauban <address@hidden> writes:

>> Well then I suspect that indeed the Windows TeX installation is the
>> culprit.  Probably it sees that the CWD is /cygdrive/... which is no
>> valid windows path name and then just runs from its installation
>> directory or somewhere else.
>
> Yes, it seems like a reasonable explanation of the problem.  Would
> there be an easy way to really confirm it?

Maybe.  There's a currfile LaTeX packages which has some macros for
printing the path of the current file.  I haven't used it so far but
maybe that can do the trick, i.e., diagnose which directory is active
during compilation.

>> But when you TeX only with auctex on cygwin, why not install the
>> cygwin texlive packages (or use the texlive installer from cygwin)?
>> I'm pretty sure it'll work then.
>
> I TeX only with AUCTeX, yes.  Only on Cygwin, no.  Currently, only on
> Windows, yes; and only on Windows machines which have a local Cygwin
> installation, yes.
>
> Do you think I still will be able to compile from the Windows Emacs,
> then, without having to maintain 2 different distributions of LaTeX (I
> would uninstall the Windows TeX Live)?

You mean, you want to install the cygwin TeX Live and then use that from
both cygwin emacs and windows emacs?  I actually don't know but I think
chances are better than the (current) other way round since emacs uses
~/path/like/these also on windows IIRC.

Bye,
Tassilo