Re: [AUCTeX] raise-frame

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] raise-frame
Date: Sun, 29 May 2016 18:52:41 +0200

Mosè Giordano <address@hidden> writes:

>> I am using Arch Linux + Xfce4 (xfwm 4.12.3) + Emacs 24.5.1. After
>> doing some research, I noticed that TeX-source-correlate-sync-source
>> funcion on tex.el file no longer uses raise-frame at the end. Could
>> this be the reason of the issue?
>
> I can confirm the problem you're reporting, but restoring the
> definition of `TeX-source-correlate-sync-source' present in version
> 11.88 doesn't fix it.
>
> Tassilo, do you have an idea of what broke it?

Hm, I guess I removed the `raise-frame' call because the frame was
raised anyhow.  And right now with my current Emacs 25 build it seems
that `raise-frame' doesn't work with other apps.  It raises an Emacs
frame over another Emacs frame (of the same instance), but it won't
raise Emacs' frame over other apps.  (And looking at its docstring, that
might be intentional.)  Or maybe I removed the `raise-frame' call
because it didn't work anyhow?  I don't know anymore...

At least here on Gnome, I get a notification that "Emacs is ready" which
I can click to bring Emacs to the front when invoking inverse search
from Evince.

Oh, I just searched for "focus" in Emacs' functions, and there's
`x-focus-frame' which actually grabs the focus.  Not sure if that has
been called by `raise-frame' or somewhere else in the past, but now
`TeX-source-correlate-sync-source' calls it.

And just after pushing that change I saw that it actually doesn't work.
Emacs gets the focus, but it is not raised.  Obviously, I tested just
evaluating

  (progn
    (sleep-for 5)
    (x-focus-frame (selected-frame)))

in *scratch* and then raising evince and a terminal over Emacs.  After 5
seconds, the Emacs frame came to the foreground.  I really have no clue
why it doesn't work when `TeX-source-correlate-sync-source' calls
`x-focus-frame'...

Bye,
Tassilo