Re: [AUCTeX] ConTeXt MkIV Support

From: Marcin Borkowski
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] ConTeXt MkIV Support
Date: Thu, 08 Sep 2016 22:03:38 +0200

On 2016-09-08, at 11:46, Tobias Berndt <address@hidden> wrote:

> Is there already a relevant community, big enough and hence worth to spent
> money developing an AucTeX support for ConTeXt MkIV? I wished I could simple
> say YES, go for it! But, I do not know? I can say, community is growing on a
> smooth level. In my opinion there'll be this future: If ConTeXt will be
> better known, LaTeX will become a TeX for private users and ConTeXt will be
> become the TeX for professional usage (universities, scientific corporates,
> publishing firms, technical editing offices and so on.
>
> Will ConTeXt better known in future? Who knows? Since I published already a
> book about LaTeX by Addison-Wesley, maybe I'll write that big ConTeXt book,
> closing the documentation gap and everyone switches? Maybe one big publisher
> discovers ConTeXt and its advantages to LaTeX and writes an article about it
> in the New York Times and it gets popular this way? This way or another,
> ConTeXt will increasingly assert itself in the future, I think. But, it could
> also be that ConTeXt go on sleeping his long sleep and never will wake up ...

Given how many people in the maths community still use LaTeX 2.09, which
should have been *dead* for some, I don't know, fifteen years or so -
I seriously doubt that they will switch anytime soon.

> Will there be a huge community for ConTeXt one day? I don't know? Should
> AucTeX support ConTeXt MkIV in near future? Definitively yes!

+1

I'd love to work on AUCTeX support for ConTeXt.  Unfortunately, I have
very limited spare time now...  Maybe in a few months or so...

> BEST, tobber

Best,

--
Marcin Borkowski