Re: [AUCTeX] what is wrong in my call to dvipdfmx with unicode filename?

From: Joost Kremers
Subject: Re: [AUCTeX] what is wrong in my call to dvipdfmx with unicode filename?
Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2017 13:08:03 +0100

On Sun, Jan 22 2017, address@hidden wrote:
Hi Tassilo

Le 22 janv. 2017 à 11:00, Tassilo Horn <address@hidden> a écrit :

jfbu <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Jean-François,

Calling dvipdfmx éé.dvi from the command line has no issue

I think the problem is that in your command, the dvi file is both enclosed in double-quotes and additionally escaped with \. So please
try with

 ("PDF par dvipdfmx" "dvipdfmx %d" TeX-run-command nil t
  :help "Produit le pdf par dvipdfmx")

Yes, that works,

actually for dvips I had

("File" "%(o?)dvips %d -o %f " TeX-run-command t t :help "Generate PostScript file")

which was official set-up (at least at the time when I
froze Tex-command-list with my additions, I should check
more often if "upstream" has evolved)

There's actually a better way to handle that situation: use `add-to-list` in your init file. E.g., this is what I do:

```
(with-eval-after-load 'tex
   ;; add a "Crop PDF" entry to TeX-command-list
   (add-to-list 'TeX-command-list
'("Crop PDF" "pdfcrop %P" TeX-run-command nil t :help "Crop pdf file")
                'append)

   ;; add a pdf expander to TeX-expand-list
   (add-to-list 'TeX-expand-list '("%P" file "pdf" t) 'append))
```

That way, my changes to `TeX-command-list` and `TeX-expand-list` are automatically added to whatever value AUCTeX provides as default.

Actually, I just noticed that the default value of `TeX-expand-list` is nil, because the AUCTeX-provided expanders are in `TeX-expand-list-default` and `Tex-expand-list` is solely for the user. So I could use a simple setq for this one. But `add-to-list` is stil useful for `TeX-command-list`.

BTW, if anyone knows of a built-in expander for the pdf output file, I'm all ears.

--
Joost Kremers
Life has its moments