[Audio-video] Re: ghm videos (John Sullivan)(Kaveh Mousavi Zamani)

From: Leo Jackson
Subject: [Audio-video] Re: ghm videos (John Sullivan)(Kaveh Mousavi Zamani)
Date: Sat, 15 May 2010 14:08:03 -0700 (PDT)

John and Kaveh,

Hello everyone

IMHO- Only my opinion

> > I was checking the videos in http://www.gnu.org/ghm/2009/.

Great videos, and as a maintainer of packages on gnu.org through Savannah
I think these are great adds.

> > They are all technical subjects, like security,
> smalltalk, ...

Yes security with all the people tiring to circumvent and find vulnerabilities
to attack software. It is great to get to know security problems and fixes etc.

The talks are about software and the maintainers of said software.

> > They are interesting and useful but, I think they wont
> fit in

It Fits if available through torrent or on site would work.

> > audio-video.gnu.org .
> >

> They are all by GNU maintainers on topics related to their
> projects,
> right? I agree that it's a different direction from the
> videos that are
> there now (which are almost all RMS talking about the
> philosophy), but I
> think we should expand in this direction.

I too think this is great. GNU maintainers and their projects are what makes
GNU, FSF a great place for software and if the maintainers want to talk about
their packages there should be an outlet for it.

> They are also of historical interest for the Project, since
> they
> document one of the GNU Hacker's Meetings, which have now
> become regular
> events.

Show the history of GCC, Smalltalk, etc or any of the projects is a great
resource.

> I usually see our two sites, gnu.org and fsf.org as a place
> to introduce the
> concept of freedom in software not any technical subject
> about software.

Yes but isn't the documents and descriptions and use of software technical not
to mention user guides available. It is on the pages of the packages.

> But if you all think these videos fit to be in our
> directory I will upload
> them.

I don't have the say but sure would like a spot for videos like these here or
somewhere.

> --
>
> I agree, and I don't see us collecting a lot of technical
> videos from
> other people on our sites. But, for example, there is
> plenty of
> technical information in http://gnu.org/software, and these videos
> are
> related to that, since they are from GNU maintainers.

Yes and a great start of video on the subjects in question

> With all due respects :)
>
> Those videos are part of from gnu.org now anyway.
>
> And audio-video is a location that that as a source of
> information about
> Freedom up to now.
>
> Why we want to copy technical stuff there?
>
> Sorry those speeches about freedom are so precious to me
> that I can't simply
> copy other technical stuff beside them. :)
>
> Can we have a comment from RMS?, :P

Would be interesting to know what he thinks about this yes.

Regards,
Leo Jackson (lajjr3)
GNU, FSF volunteer