Re: [Audio-video] Instruction to help on Audio and Video projects

From: John Sullivan
Subject: Re: [Audio-video] Instruction to help on Audio and Video projects
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2013 20:40:36 -0400

Luca Saiu <address@hidden> writes:

> I propose this procedure to update a web page:
>
> 1) update your local cvs repo
> 2) get a copy of the current web page via rsync
> 3) if it's not the same as in the repo then the last user forgot
>    to update the repo: commit the current version with an
>    appropriate comment
> 4) make your change in your local repo, and commit
> 5) upload your new version with rsync
>
> If we systematically do this then CVS should protect us from losing
> changes in case of concurrent updates of the same file.
>
> I also propose to name media files so as to explicitly include date and
> place in the file name.  This will make them easier to recognize, in
> case of errors or later when we will re-upload them to the new platform.
> I'd use this naming convention:
> YEAR[-MONTH-DAY]--AUTHOR--PLACE[--INSTITUTION][--OTHERNOTES].FORMAT
> For example 2005-11-18--rms--tunis--wsis.webm

I support all of the above.

> Of course before uploading any media file you should ensure we have
> permission to do so, that the license is acceptable to us, and that the
> format is friendly to free software (Ogg/Vorbis or Speex for audio,
> Ogg/Theora or WebM for video).

The license should also be indicated ideally in the file metadata, or if
not, in a text file that goes along with the recording.

I will add that I believe scp and sftp can be used.

-john

GPG Key: 61A0963B | http://status.fsf.org/johns | http://fsf.org/blogs/RSS

<http://www.fsf.org/register_form?referrer=8096>.