Re: [Audio-video] [gnu.org #799452] New audio: Eben Moglen from LibrePla

From: Luca Saiu
Subject: Re: [Audio-video] [gnu.org #799452] New audio: Eben Moglen from LibrePlanet 2012
Date: Sat, 23 Nov 2013 22:38:51 +0100

Hello Dora.

On 2013-11-23 at 10:17, Dora Scilipoti via RT wrote:
> Cc'ing the Audio-Video mailing list.

> I just uploaded his speech here: http://audio-video.gnu.org/audio/eben.ogg

Thanks.

However, with your permission, I'd like to rename the file following the
more rational scheme I've been following for recent uploads, so that we
can recognize the file later and also attach a metadata text file to it.

See for example
audio/2011-02-23--rms--conference--lille.ogg
and
audio/2011-02-23--rms--conference--lille.ogg.txt

In this specific case, since the date is not important and LibrePlanet
only comes once a year, I'd propose

audio/2012--moglen--libreplanet.ogg

I'll rename the file and update the HTML file linking to it, if you
agree.

>> uploading
>> >
>> > Probably.
>> >
>> > http://audio-video.gnu.org/libreplanet probably makes a good choice,
>> > making it possible to link to talks from various years (2010, 2011,
>> etc.)

Sure, that sounds reasonable.

However I'm a little worried about we stepping on each other's toes.

Now for example I have a bunch of videos to classify and upload, which
entails many small changes to the HTML pages.  Can you please make sure
to always update the HTML files on CVS as well, whenever you update a
web page?  If one of us forgets to do this, concurrent changes may be
lost; I've made the same mistake in the past, and it was painful to fix.

You can get a copy of the repo like this:
export CVS_RSH=ssh
cvs -z3 -d:ext:address@hidden:/web/audio-video co audio-video
Of course the repo only contains web pages, not the media files -- they
are too big to be hosted on CVS.

So, please let's be careful when updating web pages.  The current system
is very fragile, in this transition period before the big switch to a
MediaGoblin installation.  Actually it is so painful to update that I'm
considering writing a custom script, even if it will be only useful for
a short time.

If you want to take care of the new libreplanet category I can make the
subdirectory for you and link it from the main pages; then I promise not
to step on your toes :-).

Regards,

--
Luca Saiu