Re: [Audio-video] [gnu.org #799452] New audio: Eben Moglen from LibrePla

From: Dora Scilipoti
Subject: Re: [Audio-video] [gnu.org #799452] New audio: Eben Moglen from LibrePlanet 2012
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2013 12:14:36 +0100

Hello Luca,

It seems there is a misunderstanding. I am not the person who wrote the
text you are replying to. This is a ticket that is lying unresolved in
the webmasters queue since February, so I thought it would be a good
idea to copy the Audio-Video mailing list as a better place to deal with
it and resolve it. I'm sorry if this has created some confusion.

Some comments...

> address@hidden - Sat Nov 23 16:40:05 2013]:
>
> Hello Dora.
>
> On 2013-11-23 at 10:17, Dora Scilipoti via RT wrote:
> > Cc'ing the Audio-Video mailing list.
>
> > I just uploaded his speech here: http://audio-
> video.gnu.org/audio/eben.ogg
>
> Thanks.
>
> However, with your permission, I'd like to rename the file following
> the
> more rational scheme I've been following for recent uploads, so that
> we
> can recognize the file later and also attach a metadata text file to
> it.
>
> See for example
> audio/2011-02-23--rms--conference--lille.ogg
> and
> audio/2011-02-23--rms--conference--lille.ogg.txt
>
> In this specific case, since the date is not important and LibrePlanet
> only comes once a year, I'd propose
>
> audio/2012--moglen--libreplanet.ogg
>
> I'll rename the file and update the HTML file linking to it, if you
> agree.

Again, I am not the person who uploaded that file. I myself have nothing
against renaming it.

> >> uploading
> video.gnu.org?

> choice,
> 2011,
> >> etc.)
>
> Sure, that sounds reasonable.
>
> However I'm a little worried about we stepping on each other's toes.
>
> Now for example I have a bunch of videos to classify and upload, which
> entails many small changes to the HTML pages. Can you please make
> sure
> to always update the HTML files on CVS as well, whenever you update a
> web page? If one of us forgets to do this, concurrent changes may be
> lost; I've made the same mistake in the past, and it was painful to
> fix.
>
> You can get a copy of the repo like this:
> export CVS_RSH=ssh
> cvs -z3
> -d:ext:address@hidden:/web/audio-video co
> audio-video
> Of course the repo only contains web pages, not the media files --
> they
> are too big to be hosted on CVS.
>
> So, please let's be careful when updating web pages. The current
> system
> is very fragile, in this transition period before the big switch to a
> MediaGoblin installation. Actually it is so painful to update that
> I'm
> considering writing a custom script, even if it will be only useful
> for
> a short time.
>

> If you want to take care of the new libreplanet category I can make
> the
> subdirectory for you and link it from the main pages; then I promise
> not
> to step on your toes :-).

Unfortunately, I can't afford the time to do that. I am sorry to hear
you find it painful to update the pages. I did upload a few videos in
the past, mainly those in /education/, and I never encountered any
difficulties following the procedure described in
www.gnu.org/server/standards/README.webmastering.html under Working with
webmaster-related repositories -> audio-video repository. But I have not
followed the procedures since then, perhaps things have changed, I don't
know.

Thanks for your help Luca, and please excuse me if I have created some
confusion.

Dora