Re: [Audio-video] [task #13299] SSL Mixed Content Errors

From: Luca Saiu
Subject: Re: [Audio-video] [task #13299] SSL Mixed Content Errors
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2014 11:11:52 +0200

Hello Lisa Marie.

I'll reply by email.  The web interface is OK for archiving comments
about what needs to be done, but I find it very inconvenient for real
conversations.

On 2014-08-20 at 02:33, Lisa Marie wrote:

> Still seeing some mixed content errors.

After upgrading iceweasel I can see that as well, at least one page at
the time.  I think older versions didn't show that.

All right, it makes sense.  Sorry for not noticing this yesterday.

> We will need to do all the <link> tags
> for CSS, and any images the site loads.  You will have to change some of the
> http://gnu.org links/references to make them play nice with https.

Yes.  In practice CSS and images are important; HTML links, not nearly
as much.  But I'll try and fix everything.

> Just to confirm, converting the links from http://example.com/some_image.jpg
> to //example.com/some_image.jpg is what we want.

But it cannot be done indiscriminately.  Your example assumes that
example.com supports both HTTP and HTTPS; that's true for some sites,
such as the ones managed by the FSF (all of them?), but not for others.
See for example
  http://audio-video.gnu.org/test-link.html
versus
  https://audio-video.gnu.org/test-link.html

I performed the previous substitution with a sed script (in a careful
way, making backups): I replaced "http://audio-video.gnu.org"; with
"//audio-video.gnu.org", after checking that the text didn't occur out
of links.  I should definitely do the same for gnu.org and fsf.org, and
then check the remaining occurrences of "http://"; by hand.  I think they
will not be that many.

Will do tonight.

Regards,