AS_ESCAPE: not my kind of AS_ESCAPE

From: Lars J. Aas
Subject: AS_ESCAPE: not my kind of AS_ESCAPE
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2001 15:27:05 +0100

I have a problem with the AS_ESCAPE macro.  I figured the AS_* namespace
was reserved for shell-time (configure-time) macros, but AS_ESCAPE is
clearly an m4 autoconf-time macro.  I haven't looked over the other
AS_* macros, so this may be true for more than AS_ESCAPE, but I suggest
keeping AS_* for shell-time macros like AS_MKDIR_P and AS_DIRNAME, and
move AS_ESCAPE to m4_escape/m4_string_escape/m4[_]sh_escape or something
similar.  The AS_* macros should work with shell-variable arguments the
way I see it...

  Lars J
--
Innovation is one percent inspiration and ninetynine percent perspiration,
and in my case; twice that...  -- Norville Barnes, `The Hudsucker Proxy'