Re: AS_ESCAPE: not my kind of AS_ESCAPE

From: Akim Demaille
Subject: Re: AS_ESCAPE: not my kind of AS_ESCAPE
Date: 07 Feb 2001 15:37:20 +0100

"Lars J. Aas" <address@hidden> writes:

> I have a problem with the AS_ESCAPE macro.  I figured the AS_* namespace
> was reserved for shell-time (configure-time) macros, but AS_ESCAPE is
> clearly an m4 autoconf-time macro.  I haven't looked over the other
> AS_* macros, so this may be true for more than AS_ESCAPE, but I suggest
> keeping AS_* for shell-time macros like AS_MKDIR_P and AS_DIRNAME, and
> move AS_ESCAPE to m4_escape/m4_string_escape/m4[_]sh_escape or something
> similar.  The AS_* macros should work with shell-variable arguments the
> way I see it...

My idea is that AS is related to the shell, in anyway.  But I agree
with your concern.  But it's a valid point.  We could have m4_escape,
indeed, m4_dirname as presented by Derek, and import AC_INDIR_IF into
sh.m4, and have AS_DIRNAME and AS_ESCAPE polymorph depending whether
the computation can be done at m4 time or sh.

Any patch would be accepted for m4_escape :)