More weird things in autoconf

From: Pavel Roskin
Subject: More weird things in autoconf
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2001 02:39:09 -0500 (EST)

Hello!

It arrepars that the problem that I originally attributed to the "-Wall"
processing has to do with the way how AC_OUTPUT is defined. I expected a
message about AC_OUTPUT with arguments, and was surprised not to see it.

acgeneral.m4 defines AC_OUTPUT twice - once by AU_DEFUN, then by
m4_define. The definitions are also diffrerent in the wat they quote the
arguments. The message that autoupdate is supposed to generate:

`AC_OUTPUT' should be used without arguments.

doesn't appear, most likely because m4_define replaces the definition of
AC_OUTPUT, and the old definition has no effect, even in the traces.

Test case - run autoupdate in the autoconf directory - no messages will
appear.

In a similar way, there are two definitions of AC_INIT. Autoconf doesn't
warn about AC_INIT with one argument, but it should.

Something must have changed in the way how multiple macro definitions are
handled.

Regards,
Pavel Roskin