Re: autoconf test ': >emtpy' problem under Ultrix

From: Akim Demaille
Subject: Re: autoconf test ': >emtpy' problem under Ultrix
Date: 19 Mar 2001 11:04:46 +0100

>>>>> "Harlan" == Harlan Stenn <address@hidden> writes:

Harlan> I haven't seen any response to this report yet.  Is there a
Harlan> good reason the "empty" file can't be done using:

Harlan>  rm -f empty && touch empty (just to be thorough)

Up to now we avoided touch.

Harlan> or

Harlan>  cp /dev/null empty

Sounds good.

Harlan> or

Harlan>  cat /dev/null > empty

Not bad :)

In fact, my question would be `can you use /dev/null with diff you
Ultrix'?  empty itself should not exist, it's a workaround for DU
which refuses /dev/null as arg for its diff.  So maybe we don't need
empty on Ultrix.