RE: Directory seperators

From: Tim Van Holder
Subject: RE: Directory seperators
Date: Sat, 5 May 2001 10:19:13 +0200

> How does Autoconf handle directory seperators on a DOS file system?
>
> I was under the impression that configure would convert a PATH such as:-
>
> c:\usr\bin;c:\usr\local\bin;
>
> to:
>
> c:/usr/bin;c:/usr/local/bin;
>
> when searching the path for certain executables.
>
> Am I mistaken?
I think you are. On the other hand, configure is supposed to handle both
/ and \ as dirseps, so it shouldn't matter, I think. Admittedly, DJGPP's
bash does this slash-flipping for PATH, and Cygwin's bash turns it into
its /cygdrive/x/blah representation, so I haven't run into any problems
that might be caused by backslashes in $PATH.
I'd be inclined to suggest you report this as a bug or feature request
to whoever maintains bash for OS/2 (I'm assuming the EMX libc also
supports forward slashes).

> How is this handled under CYGWIN or DOS?
>
> I'd like to see SED used to convert the PATH if the path seperator is
> detected as ';' which seems to work fine under OS/2.
>
> Maybe there is a CONFIG.SITE option I can use to invoke this behaviour...
Alternatively, you could add something like the following to your
config.site:

PATH=`echo $PATH |tr '\\\\' '/'`

(Note: if your bash has escape expansion on by default (mine does), you'll
need to use 'echo -E' instead of just 'echo'; otherwise, echo would
replace known escapes (such as \b, which is likely to occur (...\bin)).