2.49e problems with gcc

From: Matthew Schalit
Subject: 2.49e problems with gcc
Date: Wed, 09 May 2001 09:36:59 -0700

Hi folks,

I raised this problem once before, where I can't
boostrap CVS gcc using autoconf 2.49e

Gcc builds just fine with 2.13.

  autoconf -l . gets run and fails with a gm4
  recursion limit of 250 exceeded.

Running an i586-sco-sysv5uw7.1.1,
gnu make-3.79.1
binutils 2.10.1
autoconf-2.49e
automake-1.4c
gm4-1.4ppre2 (options: gmp)

I realize that this is sort of a gcc question,
but the problem goes away when I revert to 2.13,
so I'm raising it here again.

Here's what I see when I gmake bootstrap:
gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/home/matthew/Uber/CVS/objdir/libiberty'
Bootstrapping the compiler
gmake[1]: Entering directory `/home/matthew/Uber/CVS/objdir/gcc'
gmake CC="gcc" libdir=/usr/local/lib LANGUAGES="c " \
        CFLAGS="-g " MAKEINFO="makeinfo " \
        MAKEINFOFLAGS=""
gmake[2]: Entering directory `/home/matthew/Uber/CVS/objdir/gcc'
(cd ../../gcc/gcc && autoheader)
autoheader: error: shell error while sourcing /tmp/ah2721/trace.sh
gmake[2]: *** [../../gcc/gcc/cstamp-h.in] Error 1
gmake[2]: Leaving directory `/home/matthew/Uber/CVS/objdir/gcc'
gmake[1]: *** [stage1_build] Error 2
gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/home/matthew/Uber/CVS/objdir/gcc'
gmake: *** [bootstrap] Error 2

So the error occurs when autoheader is run in the <build_dir>/gcc/gcc/
directory.

So I'll do that by hand.
$ autoheader -d -v

autoheader: running /usr/local/bin//autoconf -l . to trace from configure.in
autoheader: sourcing /tmp/ah12993/traces.sh
autoheader: error: shell error while sourcing /tmp/ah12993/trace.sh

When I take a look at trace.sh, it has an error at the
end of it that looks like this (with a bunch of context):
/* Define if you have the <iconv.h> header file. */
#undef HAVE_ICONV_H"
ac_verbatim_HAVE_STDBOOL_H="\
/* Define if you have the <stdbool.h> header file. */
#undef HAVE_STDBOOL_H"
syms="$syms CHAR_BIT"
ac_verbatim_CHAR_BIT="\
/* Define as the number of bits in a byte, if \`limits.h' doesn't. */
#undef CHAR_BIT"
syms="$syms HOST_WORDS_BIG_ENDIAN"
ac_verbatim_HOST_WORDS_BIG_ENDIAN="\
/* Define if the host machine stores words of multi-word integers in
   big-endian order. */
#undef HOST_WORDS_BIG_ENDIAN"
syms="$syms HOST_FLOAT_FORMAT"
ac_verbatim_HOST_FLOAT_FORMAT="\
/* Define to the floating point format of the host machine, if not IEEE. */
#undef HOST_FLOAT_FORMAT"
syms="$syms HOST_FLOAT_WORDS_BIG_ENDIAN"
ac_verbatim_HOST_FLOAT_WORDS_BIG_ENDIAN="\
/* Define to 1 if the host machine stores floating point numbers in memory
   with the word containing the sign bit at the lowest address, or to 0 if it
   does it the other way around. This macro should not be defined if the
   ordering is the same as for multi-word integers. */
#undef HOST_FLOAT_WORDS_BIG_ENDIAN"
/usr/local/bin/gm4: configure.in: 485: ERROR: Recursion limit of 250 exceeded,
use -L<N> to change it

So I guess I'm seeing the famous recursion limit exceeded
error, but I'm not sure how best to debug this for you.
Is this even the right list, or should I be on bug-autoconf?

Any ideas at all are greatly appreciated, as is
your patience working with SCO OS peculiarities.
Matthew