Re: newbi question on AC_CHECK_FILE Warning message (...cross compiling)

From: Peter Eisentraut
Subject: Re: newbi question on AC_CHECK_FILE Warning message (...cross compiling)
Date: Sun, 20 May 2001 02:29:26 +0200 (CEST)

Alexandre Oliva writes:

> On May 18, 2001, Peter Eisentraut <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > Alexandre Oliva writes:

> >> You have to stop using this macro.  It correctly warns you that this
> >> macro won't work correctly in cross-compilation environments.
>
> > Sure it will.
>
> It checks whether a file is present in the *build* machine.  How can
> this possibly be correct for the *host* machine, in which the code is
> going to run?

It is correct if the file is used during the build process, for example as
an option to one of the build tools.  You are assuming that the user is
checking for the file to hard-code it into his binaries.  That is another
possible use, but I'd guess it's the far less common one, because users
are smart enough not to do that.

--
Peter Eisentraut   address@hidden   http://funkturm.homeip.net/~peter