Re: acversion.in now?

From: Tim Van Holder
Subject: Re: acversion.in now?
Date: 23 May 2001 17:11:12 +0200

On 23 May 2001 09:23:49 -0400, Derek R. Price wrote:
> Russ Allbery wrote:
>
> > Derek R Price <address@hidden> writes:
> >
> > > By the way, I think I see what you're getting at here, but you really
> > > spoil all of the automatic syntax coloration of my text editor since it
> > > switches first based first on file extension...  :P
> >
> > Does it have some simple way of designating the type of the file based on
> > a marker in the content, and even better could it be convinced to use the
> > same marker that emacs does (-*- m4 -*- and the like)?
>
> Yes, and with work, most likely.  It was switching on file type and then the
> #! line before - neither of which are in many of automake's *.in files now.
> On the up side, I'm guessing the author will like a patch that acomplishes
> that.
>
> Do you know what priority the -*- line has in emacs?  e.g. 1) #!, 2) -*-, 3)
> filename extension...

I'm fairly sure it overrides the extension, and I think emacs doesn't
check #! when a -*- was already seen.
IIRC, emacs only checks -*- if it's on the very first line, so it's
useless for scripts (as the -*- would be seen as part of the program to
run, I think).
Top priority is given to a Local Variables block at then end (if it
exists), I believe.