Ebcdic rule

From: Pfeiffer Daniel
Subject: Ebcdic rule
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2001 18:49:50 +0200

Hi,

ever since everybody's shouting "We're open!", mainframes have learned a few
Unix manners, which is a good thing.  Alas, while being quite close to
Posix, they'll use Ebcdic rather than Ascii, which causes no end of
headaches.

Since autoconf seems to have no test for this, I've figured one out, which
you might want to provide:

[ "`echo A`" = "`echo '\0301'`" ]

the corresponding Ascii test would check for \0101 instead.

While piping the output of echo back into the test operator seems rather
cludgy, I know of no simpler way.  And at least this should be portable
across all Bourne shells.

enjoy
Daniel
--
Kommunikation ist unwahrscheinlich.  /  Komunikado estas neprobable.
                        Niklas Luhmann, Soziologe / Sociikisto