Re: Ebcdic rule

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Ebcdic rule
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2001 15:49:31 -0700 (PDT)

> From: Russ Allbery <address@hidden>
> Date: 02 Oct 2001 15:27:06 -0700
>
> There's at least an active community of people who ported Perl to EBCDIC
> and continue to maintain it, apparently because they're using it
> regularly.

Yes, but Autoconf-based tools that run on EBCDIC mainframes (e.g. GNU
make) don't seem to need special Autoconf support.  EBCDICness is
easily checked at compile-time already, so I don't offhand see why
this is an Autoconf issue.

I asked him whether he actually used mainframes mainly because his
message sounded like it was prompted by theoretical issues, not by a
problem that he'd actually run into in practice.