Re: Problem with check for functions with Sun CC

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Problem with check for functions with Sun CC
Date: Thu, 2 May 2002 12:07:15 -0700 (PDT)

> From: "Steve M. Robbins" <address@hidden>
> Date: Thu, 2 May 2002 14:38:37 -0400
>
> Autoconf expects that "CC" is a C-compiler and "CXX" is a C++ compiler,
> and will get upset if you lie to it.  ;-)

Actually, Autoconf didn't get upset.  It told him that getcwd wouldn't
work when compiled in C code by his C++ compiler, which is quite a
reasonable thing to report.

It's possible to compile _some_ C code using a C++ compiler, and it
happens all the time.  I'm not a big fan of the practice and I don't
think we should worry too much about supporting it, but I don't think
we should go out of our way to prohibit it either.

> However, search the archives because there are several pitfalls
> when using C++.

Quite right, quite right.