Re: Cross-compiler setup with autoconf and M$ CL

From: Dan Kegel
Subject: Re: Cross-compiler setup with autoconf and M$ CL
Date: Mon, 03 Jun 2002 15:10:44 -0700

Keve Müller wrote:
I'm using autoconf-2.53 to configure a Makefile that builds a library.
The makefile will work for both Linux and Windows environments.

Now, I've experimented with cross-compiling on the Linux system to build the library for the Windows target. Interesting enough it was (almost) as simple as adding CC=cl on the command line. (CL is run through wine)

The problem I encounter is that autoconf does not realise that building under Linux with the M$ cl compiler is actually a cross-compiler setup.
It also fails to canonicalize host settings when using this compiler.

When you configure for cross-compiling, not only do you need to override
CC, CFLAGS, LDFLAGS, etc., but you also need to give configure the
--host=xxxx option so it knows it's cross-compiling,
as well as setting environment variables to override any
autoconf tests that can't be done when cross-compiling.

Can you post the complete configure command you're using?
- Dan