Re: cache directory is not removed

From: Steven G. Johnson
Subject: Re: cache directory is not removed
Date: Wed, 05 Jun 2002 19:04:21 -0400

Bill Wendling wrote:
I concur. It is an annoyance. Having a flag (--remove-cache) as mentioned
above would be very nice. Having the cache directory is fine, but keeping
them there is a pain...

I would go further and suggest that perhaps this should be the default behavior...probably the vast majority of autoconf users are more annoyed by the generated files lying around than they are by an extra three seconds on the rare occasions they run autoconf. And the time penalty will drop over time as computers get faster (unless Akim bloats autom4te to compensate :-).

(Instead of creating and removing the cache, it would be better to not create it at all, or just send it all to /dev/null like we did with config.cache.)

It could use/create the cache only if the autom4te.cache directory exists, or if the user passes --autom4te-cache or something like that. This way, you would only need to explicitly indicate once that you want the cache (per project), and it will be used thereafter (unless the users deletes the cache directory).

Cordially,
Steven G. Johnson