Re: cache directory is not removed

From: Earnie Boyd
Subject: Re: cache directory is not removed
Date: Thu, 06 Jun 2002 07:28:00 -0400

"Steven G. Johnson" wrote:

> Bill Wendling wrote:
> > I concur. It is an annoyance. Having a flag (--remove-cache) as mentioned
> > above would be very nice. Having the cache directory is fine, but keeping
> > them there is a pain...
>
> I would go further and suggest that perhaps this should be the default
> behavior...probably the vast majority of autoconf users are more annoyed
> by the generated files lying around than they are by an extra three
> seconds on the rare occasions they run autoconf.  And the time penalty
> will drop over time as computers get faster (unless Akim bloats autom4te
> to compensate :-).
>
> (Instead of creating and removing the cache, it would be better to not
> create it at all, or just send it all to /dev/null like we did with
> config.cache.)

So now I run `configure -C' always.  I use the cache files to determine
problem areas of my runtime libraries.

> It could use/create the cache only if the autom4te.cache directory
> exists, or if the user passes --autom4te-cache or something like that.
> This way, you would only need to explicitly indicate once that you want
> the cache (per project), and it will be used thereafter (unless the
> users deletes the cache directory).

There is an easy way to get rid of the cache directory.  It involves a
simple command.  This commands  repeated use will not even come close to
the amount of bits spread for this thread and others like it.  Just `rm
-rf autom4te-2.53.cache' if you don't want it laying around.

Earnie.