Re: autoreconf gets autopoint order wrong?

From: Paul Smith
Subject: Re: autoreconf gets autopoint order wrong?
Date: 03 Oct 2002 16:59:43 -0400

%% Paul Eggert <address@hidden> writes:

  pe> Have you tried "autoreconf --verbose --install --force"?  That's what
  pe> Bison does.  Perhaps "--force" is the magic that you need.  Anyway,
  pe> the "--verbose" might let you debug things.

I did use --verbose and --debug, that's how I found out what's
happening.

A quick look at the autoreconf script itself confirmed it.  The aclocal
is running first, before autopoint has a chance to install the proper
.m4 files to support the AM_GNU_GETTEXT* macros, so when aclocal runs it
can't find them.

Unless someone can give a good reason why aclocal should be run first, I
think the proper answer is to change autoreconf and switch the order.

I can try using --force and maybe that will allow autoreconf to continue
after it hits that error, _but_ I still think that autoreconf is doing
these things backwards: it should run autopoint first, then aclocal.

 Paul D. Smith <address@hidden> HASMAT--HA Software Mthds & Tools