Re: autoreconf gets autopoint order wrong?

From: Soren A
Subject: Re: autoreconf gets autopoint order wrong?
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2002 02:25:52 +0000 (UTC)

I'll apologize in advance for asking questions instead of providing
answers. Paul's posting gave rise to several questions for me. Hopefully
my posting in this thread won't be off-topic; if it's off-topic for the
thread then hopefully follow-ups can be re-titled.

"Paul D. Smith" <address@hidden> wrote around 03 Oct 2002

> I'm using autoconf 2.54 / automake 1.7 / gettext 0.11.5.

I am not clear on what package you, Paul, are trying to build.

> My source tree contains no derived files at all; you must install the
> above tools before you can build from a CVS checkout.
>
> By hand I need to run these tools to get the tree "ready to build":
>
>   autopoint
>   aclocal -I config
>   autoheader
>   automake --add-missing
>   autoconf
>   ./configure
>   make update

I have never heard of `autopoint' before and wonder if someone could
describe what it does, what is its role with the Autotools. Or provide
pointers to where I can educate myself, of course.

> ("make update" grabs public files from ftp.gnu.org, translation files,
> etc. using wget).

This is the main reason i am writing. I observed the need for this recently
and so did others (on another List). This "update" target in a Makefile --
how does it work? Where can I see that? Is this generated by an Automake
run on input files ('Makefile.am's)? ???

  Thanks!
    Soren A