Re: config.status --recheck != configure

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: config.status --recheck != configure
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2002 15:26:00 -0500 (CDT)

On 13 Oct 2002, Akim Demaille wrote:

> Bob> I have learned the hard way that 'config.status --recheck'
> Bob> produces incomplete results as compared to the original
> Bob> 'configure' that created config.status.  I assume that this is
> Bob> because config.status runs configure with the extra options
> Bob> '--no-create --no-recursion'.
>
> Bob> Is this shortcoming by design or accident?
>
> Both: by accident what you propose is having ./config.status kill
> itself by running configure which creates it.  So by design, it is
> avoided.

Can the design be altered so that config.status replaces itself by
running a temporary script while config.status is replaced?  The key
would be to avoid a sharing violation under Windows or operating
systems that prevent an executing script from being replaced.

> Bob> It is much more convenient to simply execute 'config.status
> Bob> --recheck' rather than 'config.status --version' and then pasting
> Bob> in what it prints.
>
> Agreed :(

Yes.  For the project I maintain, I typically have some 20 build
directories sharing a common source directory and when I make a
configure-related update it would be nice if 'config.status --recheck'
would be sufficient so I wouldn't have to recollect the options used
to build that directory.

On a related topic, the message printed by 'config.status --recheck'
is incorrect.  The message printed is not properly quoted.  For
example:

% ./config.status --recheck
running /bin/bash /home/bfriesen/src/graphics/ImageMagick/configure
CFLAGS=-O2 -g CXXFLAGS=-O -g --enable-maintainer-mode
--with-quantum-depth=8 --enable-lzw --enable-shared --disable-static
--with-windows-font-dir=/usr/local/lib/X11/fonts CC=gcc
--enable-ltdl-convenience  --no-create --no-recursion

Does not show the quoting of the CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS options required
to reflect what is actually being executed.

Bob
Bob Friesenhahn
address@hidden